I made four quick little receiving blankets. Three will go to our first grandbaby and one of these blankets will go to a neighbour. They are a mix of flannel and cotton, no inside batting, and small enough to cover a stroller, act as a burp cloth, cover a small space for a diaper change, or used for whatever is needed.
The pictures of these little beauties are not as pretty as the actual blankets.
Here is the fab tutorial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro
I made a few little sweet teething bibs. They are double sided, with small plastic snaps. I tried some metal ones, but they didn’t work well…cold, heavy, and hard to snap. They can also cause allergies, so therefore, comfy plastic ones.
The flannel quilt is a simple rag quilt, unlined and hand basted first so the minky fabric didn’t slip while I sewed the backing to the strip top.
Quite a busy week sewing for that new grandbaby!
I bought a vintage picinic basket that was in great shape but the contents were missing, so I went on a hunt for some new pieces.
I lined the inside with plastic and then a quilted removable, liner.
My fav part was the plated spoons that I made into napkin rings, and all the special silver plated silverware that I added to the basket.
I covered a hard cardboard with navy linen, sewed in elastic to hold the lid utensils and attached the board to the lid with Velcro.
If one looks carefully, there are plated pie forks, a butter knife, a vintage ice-cream scoop and a beautiful lacquered bento box.
Cute little baby blocks. I used four, 4 1/2 ” flannel squares and two Minkie squares. I made 1/4″ seam allowances. There are lots of instructions on the Internet. The boxes are stuffed with fibrefill, and one has a piece of crinkly plastic inside. Love. Super quick gifts! 3 in an evening.
Spring always offers up opportunities for “sweet” photographs so I snapped a few of the birds at a local pond, and the magnolia tree out back. I then manipulated the two images with a super little app called, Superimpose. I printed the merged image onto a piece of transfer paper called Lazertran.
The image is printed with an ink jet printer. The decal is then slipped carefully on to a canvas, dampened with matt medium as the binder. Ta da! Love it.
This lovely cotton/ linen piece took a great deal of time.
- First, I designed a repeat pattern. A fairly lengthy process, but fun!
- Transfered the drawing design to Lino. Cut with speedball Lino cutter.
- Hand stamped small Lino leaves and branches in greens.
- Hand stamped large Lino on top of the leaves. After a few hand rubbing efforts, the prints were too light, so I finally used a beautiful old printmaking press.
- I think the fabric needed about 40 individual passes through the press. Many hours!
- I’m not sure what it will become….maybe an apron or skirt or a lap quilt.
The linen was taped to the table, drawn on with orchid ink, and then stitched and stitched.
After sewing, the threads are all pulled tightly in a long ” package” and dipped 10 separate times in an indigo vat. After dyeing, all that stitching of the fabric is finally cut open, washed, and sewn into a pillow. 100 hours of work for one pillow….