Tags

, , ,

Block Printing

IMG_7786

After finishing my inspiring course from Maiwa( an earthy, eclectic company that sells supplies to fabric artists), I took up the challenge at home.

I boiled and scoured some fabric with synthrapol soap.IMG_7780

I carved a bird image into a piece of easy cut rubber.

IMG_7783

After two hours of washing and drying the fabric, neither piece of the material took the Seta opaque ink very well.

IMG_7781

IMG_7781After inking up the rubber image again, I finally tried a washed piece of silk, which worked perfectly. I deduced that the flatter and smoother the fabric, the better the result.

IMG_7782

The ink must be heat set, either with a commercial clothes dryer or a hot, dry iron.

I had wanted to finish with bias piping but I ran out of time. I will make a better effort in all aspects next time. This was more of an experiment, but a pretty one.

Advertisements